I thought it would be appropriate to give you a quick report on how the well-test simulator project is coming along. Here is a short list of the latest batch of improvements:
1. The interface has been spiffed up and allows for plotting of most important parameters and saving the plots as .png files for reporting purposes.
2. Every action and all gauge values are recorded and can be saved to a CSV format for later processing
3. The well test log can now be saved in a clean text format for later analysis.
1. The mathematical flow model has been improved and it is quite optimized and stable.
2. Leaks now release H2S that spreads based on terrain height and wind direction. There are also spill and gushing particles and sounds matched to leak pressure and exit diameter.
3. Player actions (walking, running, etc.) now use up energy, and being exposed to H2S will lower health. Right now these are just indicators, but they will be expanded to allow for a bit of “gamification”!
4. Heat radiation from burners is modeled.
5. Gas flare and oil burner on burner booms now show more realistic graphics, and the flame sizes and back-pressures are modeled.
1. You can now select the appropriate level of visual quality. The simulation will run with at least 30 frames/second on cheap laptops on the lowest setting, and give you at least 60 frames/second on a medium-priced gaming computer with the highest visual settings.
2. Volume controls for environment sounds/effects/voice were added to give users more control.
3. High-quality water was added back in, but can now be disabled for better frame rates.
I also added some screenshots to show some of these updates and the general visual quality:
Some of my kind testers have been reporting frame rate issues on older machines. In order to improve frame rates – and give you guys some variety – I have added a dusk desert level with a simplified terrain, no water and very light vegetation. This improves frame rates by 25% on some machines.